Monday, May 21, 2012

ISU Reflection

We just finished ISU presentations in my world issues class and it was an eye opener to learn about so many different topics and to hear my classmates views on the subject. After learning about these topics it really shows me how opinionated people are and how some issues might never be resolved. But they also showed me how horrible and judgemental the world can be. The presentation that I found the most interesting was Abortion and Child Slavery.

Now I've had debates and done research on abortion so I knew the facts but what I found interesting was the discussion. I learned other facts about abortion that I hadn't known before but to hear my peers opinions was very interesting. There were so many different opinions in my class that a heated discussion actually arose because of difference of opinion. It was intriguing to hear people evidence on how they back up their opinion and how it was easily countered by the opposition.

The presentation on child slavery was one that I found concerning and almost disturbing. It was horrible to find out about the statistics of child slaves and to know the actual definition of child slavery. It was devastating to find out about the amount of children who are taken from their families and forced to working horrible and demoralizing conditions. It makes me wonder how people can just let this happen and how more needs to be done to stop this.


4 comments:

  1. The debate on abortion is a constant debate not only in the classroom, but in politics as well. Stephen Harper has constantly denied the option to bring up abortion in the House of Commons due the high level of controversy associated with the topic. As for the child slavery presentation, I also thought that it was one of the most informative presentations. Child Slavery is a very sad world issue and it affects our younger generations significantly. Raising awareness may be the one and only options about the issue because of the secrecy and privateness of the acts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Sarah I agree with you those presentation were very good. After the debate I think we all were a little more educated on the topic. Child slavery was definitely the most disturbing. The amount of children in child slavery is disturbing as well. Raising awareness is definitely a key role in helping stop child slavery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Sarah! These presentations were eye openers and really showed us that we can find solutions to some of the world's toughest issues. Discussion I believe is the best way for these presentations to actually come alive and be fixed. Awesome Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that the topic of my ISU got you thinking! It really is disappointing to know that people are out there right now exploiting the worlds most helpless; the children. More awareness needs to be raised on the subject, as well as more solutions if any change is to happen. It really is curious how this still happens in our world, and we let it.

    ReplyDelete